Here’s all the news that’s fit to sprint…
Professional news person.
Also, heads must have been bigger in the 1980s.
- While I consider myself a solid upper-third-of-the-pack’er, that hasn’t always been the case, and I’ve had my fair share of tough, slow races (like the 2010 Chicago Marathon). As such, I found these anecdotes to be pretty heartwarming.
- I rarely think about my breathing pattern as it relates to my running. In fact, I couldn’t tell you what my breathing pattern is. Turns out, it may play a minimal role in your efficiency and injury risk. Maybe I’ll pay more attention next time… for funsies.
- One of my biggest goals this year has been to better adjust to the whole real life vs. training balance that so many of us are working to perfect. Spoiler alert: You’ll never perfect it, but here are some great tips from a guy who has a fair amount on his plate.
- Are you a trail racing newbie, or interested in venturing off of the pavement in the near future? Jen has some great trail racing tips that I’ll be filing away for the next time I take my Goudas off-road! (RW has some tips, too.)
- A tip of my hat to Jenny for sharing this link to some great TED Talks for athletes. Consider throwing some on your iPod for your next long run.
- We’ve all had those moments, early Saturday morning, where you’re fully dressed for your long run, but still debating whether or not to crawl back under the covers.
- Registration opened this morning for the runners who were prevented from finishing the 2013 Boston Marathon. Regular registration is looming — where has the summer gone?!
- Here’s an interesting read from Mark Hadley regarding the speed of your long runs. It required math (for me, that’s rough), but definitely something to consider.
- Girls on the Run’s Chicago chapter is looking for some volunteers for this weekend’s Chicago Triathlon (Aug. 25). Shoot Devon an email if you’re interested in helping out — devon [at] gotrchicago [dot] org)! They also need help at the Chicago Marathon expo and their Fall 5k event!
- Beet juice has been making the rounds as the new go-to miracle supplement. (Chugging the stuff just prior to your event is supposed to have particularly solid performance effects.) MMMMmmm beets. Have you tried it?
- Here are some new workouts if you’re looking for some new ways to spice up your weekly grind.
- If you’re thinking about investing in a running coach, here are some things to keep in mind. And may I suggest Coach Abby?
Got any good scoop for this burgeoning reporter?